SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

Central Memorial High School

0
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
Add Your Review

Grade: 
10-12
Address: 
5111 - 21st Street S.W., Calgary, Alberta T3E 1R9
Phone: 
403-243-8880


School Location

Central Memorial High School is located in the southwest community of North Glenmore. Our school serves the communities of Altadore, Lincoln Park, Glamorgan, Lakeview, North Glenmore Park, Ogden, Richmond, Riverbend, Rutland Park. Feeder junior high schools include A.E. Cross, Bishop Pinkham, Fairview, Mount Royal, and Sherwood. We also have the School of Performing and Visual Arts and the National Sports Academy housing students from across Calgary and Alberta.

About the School

The name, Central Memorial, commemorates the original Central Collegiate Institute and Central High School first built in the early 1900s. Central's traditions reach back in time to 1888 when the original Central was opened to 171 students at 5th Avenue and 1st Street S.W. Twenty-eight of these students were in high school and were taught by the principal, Mr. James Short. By 1903, Central School was overcrowded so the high school students were moved to a building at 7th Avenue and 2nd Street S.E. This was Calgary's first distinct high school, which was officially named City Hall School. However, the high school students preferred to call it Central High School and affectionately nicknamed it Sleepy Hollow High. In 1904, the rest of the students at Central School were moved to a new Central, which was a palatial three-story sandstone structure built for $70,000 on the west side of the old building. This school was later renamed James Short School. Calgary's rapid growth meant that by 1907 Sleepy Hollow could no longer accommodate all of the city's high school students. A site was purchased at 13th Avenue and 8th Street S.W. where a new high school, Calgary Collegiate Institute, was built and opened in 1908 with 101 students. However, the students continued to call their new high school Central, and by the 1920's, the name Calgary Collegiate Institute faded into history. Central High School lived on. In 1965, Central High School closed and, amid tears, most students reluctantly moved to Western Canada High School. The principal of Central, Mr. J.W. Churchill, retired, and the assistant principal, Mr. R.W. Pulleyblank, was reassigned to plan a modern new school to be known as Lakeview High. As an alumnus of Central, a former teacher, and assistant principal whose father was also a principal at Central, Mr. Pulleyblank could not let Central's tradition be lost. Consequently, on a sunny, warm September day in 1968, under Mr. Pulleyblank's leadership, Central Memorial High School opened its doors to students from Lakeview and surrounding districts. Central has undergone many changes over the last 100 years.


Add Your Review